Florida, Oddly Enough



 Back in the old Sunshine State and busy getting my classroom ready before the students come back on the 10th. I didn't get nearly as much done as I'd hoped, but I had wonderful travels and read some good books. Also, I've found myself noticing some good changes in myself. I have been able to stand the heat more, and I've felt more patient, even with myself. I think two things influenced this. First, over my break, I read via audiobook, Villette, by Charlotte Bronte. It is a story that takes place over a period of years in a young woman's life. She journeys from England, her homeland, to France finding work as a companion and later a teacher. She meets people who will become part of her path, describes them in great detail and with true clarity, and falls in love twice, once unrequited. This woman's point of view and keen human insight was engrossing. Lucy Snowe, our main character and narrator, addresses her readers occasionally, throughout the novel, as if we're invited to read her diary. In a very odd sense, I became her friend. I learned things from her about noticing people in a more in-depth and generous way, observing situations similarly, and feeling contentment. It's not that she had an easy time. Far from it. But her ability to handle her life, told in her words as the chapters unfolded, and expressed through her wisdom, was a comforting thing. It's been a while since I felt a novel change me. I recommend you read it or listen to it. There is also a ghost and wonderful descriptions of places and gardens. 

I bought this amazing 32 oz double insulated water bottle for 12 dollars at Marshall's and I love it.

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/17435/why-drink-water-how-water-and-health-are-connected/

Secondly, I drastically reduced my sugar and caffeine intake, and upped my water intake.  I have noticed a more even mood, and better sleep. I didn't think coffee bothered me, in fact, I'd often have a second cup before my commute home. But after stopping it, and having the horrible headache that goes with that, I notice how it affects me: It makes me feel physically edgy and leaves me dehydrated. I've been much better about getting at least 64 ounces of water each day. I will feel good about things with food if I have no more than 3 cups of coffee each week, and if I have one very nice and worthy treat each week. But I know myself better than to try to make any hard and fast rules. I'll rebel!

Two improvements in my life and my new friend Vilette, have put me in a nice space as I get ready to welcome my students in 9 days. I'll enjoy the classroom setup, if not the staff meetings, in greater contentment and awareness because of them. These are the blessings of a summer off work. Aah, we all need them. Too few of us get them. Hoping you've befriended a character in a novel, at least read a good one, and improved something in your life this summer, too.


~Dorothy Dolores



Comments