Trawling Through The Thrift Stores with Joseph Finn

 Happy Thursday, everyone!  It's rainy here in Chicago and will be cooler, but things are looking up as I'm going to be employed again assuming I pass training.  But let's move on the random stuff I found this last week!



______________________




I'm always a little ashamed that I've never read more Delany, who I know more by reputation for his science-fiction than by having read it.  So finding this was nice, since I know it's supposedly great but not as weirdly difficult as his Babel-17 (which focuses a lot around semantics and new languages).


______________________




Chuck is a series I really haven't thought of in a while but also enjoyed a lot when it was airing.  If you're unfamiliar with the premise, Chuck is a perfectly normal guy working at a help desk in a Best Buy-type store, when his college roommate drops by, reveals he's a spy and gives Chuck a device that downloads all sorts of spy knowledge into Chuck's brain.  Hijinks ensue.  Part spy-action show, part workplace comedy, it's a ton of fun with a good comedic cast and some very good guest casting (casting infamously difficult Chevy Chase as a rival spyb leader, for instance).  Looking forward to dipping back into this.


______________________




Apparently based on Fellini's child, Amarcord won the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar, so as I gradually get to all of those this was a good pickup for me.  Love the cover on this Criterion edition, by a Caitlin Kuhwald; it works with what I've seen of the visuals in the booklet.  I've not seen a lot of Fellini's color work so this should be interesting.


______________________




Ah, teh joys of schlock.  I know exactly zero about this one and am not even going to look it up, just let it wash over me count the numbers of bullets and how many times Hulk Hogan clearly doesn't understand the words he's saying.  (Seriously, watch No Holds Barred some time; it's a masterpiece of almost anti-acting.)


______________________




Another thing I only really know by reputation, more for the movie than the novel, but I'm here for tales of football in the '70s as it starts becoming the mega-industry it is today as opposed to the almost part-time job it had been for decades.  I'm sure it's probably sexist as hell, sadly.


Comments