Trawling through the Thrift Stores with Joseph Finn

  Happy Trawling Thursday, everyone!  Another week of what random junk I've found in thrift stores, Little Free Libraries and various other dusty corners.



OK, so The Facts and Fictions of Minna Pratt is something I've never actually read, neither have I read MacLachlan's Sarah Plain And Tall.  But I really enjoyed this cover from 1988, the synopsis about siblings is intriguing and hell, I like encountering children's books from the part.





So a few years back, a horror author named Grady Hendrix came out with a wonderful survey of the joys of trach '70s and '80s horror fiction, Paperbacks From Hell.  One of the authors he mentioned was Robert R. McCammon, who apparently works in the southern gothic tradition in the Stephen King era.  He's someone I've unfortunately never checked out, but I ran across this figured it's one horror novel I shoudl finally try.




I'm a sucker for random anthologies and I'm already loving this collection of 100 short superhero comics.  Much as I love Spider-Man, sometimes this big comic companies are calcified with the same characters all the time and so it's fun to see some new names and faces.




Now this one is a replacement; I had the book with no dustjacket and I found this upgrade.  It's a brilliant and scary novel and I wish Roth had written more frightening alternate history science fiction, like this novel about a world where white supremacist Charles Lindbergh became President.






Hoooo nelly, I do love Reno 911!, as smartly dumb as it is.  ACAB, yes, and these incompetents are definitely bad at what they do.  I always enjoy that one of the stars, Tom Lennon, is from my town and if you go the local high school and look at their wall of fame (which also includes Ernest Hemingway) his picture on it is his headshot as Lt. Dangle from this.  



And then there's this, which I still think is one of the funnier things I've ever seen on TV.





Comments